When a Complaint is not resolved by the relevant authority (Stock Broker, Registrars, CSCS, Stock Exchange, public listed companies etc), the Complainant shall refer that matter to the SEC.
The following is a step-by-step breakdown of the process for the Investor in getting his complaint handled at the SEC:
- The Complainant may send his complaint using the Complaint Form on this page or as a letter, an e-mail, or place a phone call to our Complaints number.
- The SEC shall acknowledge receipt of complaints received from Complainants via email, postal services, hand delivery etc within five (5) working days.
- An acknowledgment copy is given to the Complainant and when it is via email, a message is sent acknowledging the receipt of the complaint by the Commission.
- The complaint is registered in the Register of Complaints.
- The SEC shall assess the complaint within ten (10) working days
- It is the policy of the SEC to conduct its investigations on a confidential basis to preserve the integrity of its investigative process as well as to protect the complainant and persons against whom unfounded charges may be made. The SEC cannot under its laws disclose the existence or non-existence of an investigation and any information gathered. The investigation shall be concluded within sixty (60) working days or for an extended time as the SEC deems fit.
- In its investigation, the SEC shall liaise with relevant CMOs and SROs for further review and or action.
- Throughout the period of review and investigation, our dedicated officers will continue to follow-up with both the Complainant and the relevant authority (CMOs, SROs or internal departments) till the matter is satisfactorily resolved within the specified timeline.
>Process of filing a complaint